Wednesday, June 20, 2007

south dakota


Day 1: lost baggage, late flights, running through airports ... MN finally! After visiting the local REI 3 times (yes, 3), Best Buy twice & Potbelly for lunch, we were on our way. Turns out southern Minnesota & thus far South Dakota look a lot like NY with way cooler wind turbines & a shit-ton of powerlines.

Day 2: stayed last night at a campsite south of Brandon SD where Richard was our amazing & knowledgeable host. There are a few things we've learned about South Dakota so far:

1 - they're very proud of Wall Drug store (we're stopping there for lunch & promise to have pictures)
2 - they're very proud of their (cheesy, unimpressive) corn palace
3 - there lots of power lines
4 - there's no shortage of Cabella's

a quaint little wind farm in MN


Brian - this tent is way sweeter than we even imaged it'd be ... thanks!!

Betsy with Richard ... our S Dakota tour guide

Mitchell is quite a corny place ... ha ha!

(brought to you from the Mitchell SD Quality Inn parking lot)

3 comments:

Chris said...

Holy!! I've always wanted to go to the Mitchell Corn Palace. I'm sooo jealous!!

PS - I just love bumming free wi-fi off of unsuspecting, security-free, motels in the middle of South Dakota! Way fun.

Unknown said...

Betsy: thanks for the link! We're SO going to read every word of this trip. I hope you had a good time at Wall Drug--did you get a drink of water from the FREE water supply? (Why yes, I have been to Wall Drug, and there are probably sullen teen pictures of me to prove it somewhere at my mother's house.)

Take care, be safe, and keep writing!

Karen (of Karen, Benno and Phoebe)

Lauralew said...

hey B&B, I've never been to the Corn Palace and have no plans to go. Almost went a few years ago when Garrison Keilor played there but it didn't work out. But Mitchell itself is kinda cool, when you get onto the backroads. Have never been to Cabella's, either, although one of my very good friends does pilgrimages there on a routine basis. But, since they are building one in Rapid City, I suppose I'll have to see what the fuss is about.